Differently Abled is often described in terms of lack of normal functioning of physical, mental or psychological processes. It is also defined as learning difficulties or difficulties in adjusting socially, which interfaces with a person’s normal growth and development. A disabled child has been defined as one who is unable to ensure by himself, wholly or partially the necessities of a normal individual or social life including work as a result of deficiency whether congenital or not in his physical or mental capabilities.
Persons having any of the disabilities, namely, visual, communication (hearing and/or speech) and locomotor, will be considered physically disabled. More and more people are now convinced that "disabled" is not the right term to describe people who are challenged. Many now prefer using the term "differently abled".
Who are differently abled persons?
As per the provisions of the Persons with Disability (PWD) Act 1995 it means:-
2. Low vision
3. Leprosy cured
4. Hearing impairment
5. Locomotor disability
6. Mental retardation and
7. Mental illness
In Kerala the total differently abled persons are 8.61 lakh which comes to 3.92% of the total disabled persons in India. Out of the total disabled persons in Kerala, 4.58 lakh (53.2%) are males and 4.03 (46.7%) are females. The state had less number of disabled persons in urban areas than in the rural areas. Their distribution in urban and rural areas was 2.13 lakh (24.7%) and 6.48 lakh (75.2%) respectively.
Related Schemes / Programmes - State
* Scholarships for the Disabled Students
* Marriage Assistance to Differently Abled Women and Daughters of Differently Abled Parents
* Financial Assistance to Blind and Orthopaedically Handicapped Advocates
* Distress Relief Fund for the Differently Abled
* Registration of Special Schools
* World Disabled Day Celebrations
* Vocational Training in Tailoring, DTP, Book Binding, Leather Work, MS Office, Mobile Phone Repairing, Printing, Computer Software and Hardware
* Scheme of Issuing Disability Certificate
GRANT IN AID TO NGOS - CENTRAL SCHEME
* Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase or / Fitting Aids and Appliances
* Grant – in – aid under the Deendayal Disabled Scheme
GRANT IN AID TO NGOS - STATE SCHEME
AWARDS TO DIFFERENTLY ABLED PERSONS